Welcome to the CAL FIRE Residential Debris Burn Permitting Site

During certain times of the year and in certain parts of the state, residential landscape debris burning of dead vegetation is allowed. However, homeowners should always check with their local fire station or CAL FIRE station, as well as local air quality management agency before burning. Burn permits may be required and during the dry months, CAL FIRE will suspend burning altogether.

What can be burned?
Dry, natural vegetation, grown on the property can still be burned outdoors in open piles unless prohibited by local ordinances. No household trash or garbage can be burned outdoors at residences.

Burning trash, garbage, plastic, and treated lumber is not allowed by local Air Quality Management Districts

When can you burn?
Burning can only be done on permissive burn days. Burning permits are only valid on “Permissive Burn Days” as determined by the State Air Resources Board or the local air district. To find out if it is a Burn Day, contact your local air district.


IMPORTANT: CAL FIRE Burn Permits are only for within the State Responsibility Area (SRA), or where CAL FIRE has jurisdictional authority.  For information and permits required outside the SRA / CAL FIRE jurisdiction, contact your local City/County fire authority. If the status in your county is marked as "Burning Allowed", you still must confirm that it is a permissive burn day with your local air quality management agency. The contact phone numbers will appear on your permit.

Violations Of Any Burning Permit Terms Are A Violation Of State Law (Public Resources Code 4421, 4422, 4423 And 4425).